compensation: 16.00 per hour employment type: full-time
QR Code Link to This Post
The Greater North Shore Link is a key entry point for older adults and persons with disabilities for information and assistance with community resources and access to publicly funded, community-based long term care. The Options Program Peer Guide working at the ILCNSCA will play a central role in educating consumers who are considering facility-based long term care services about their community-based options.
General Statement of Duties: The Options Program Peer Guide will educate older adults and persons with disabilities to understand the type and range of community-based long term care supports available to them. The Options Program Peer Guide will also provide information and assistance with referrals for community-based long term care benefits as well as the comprehensive IL services when assigned. The Options Program counseling services can be provided by phone, in the home of the consumer, in a hospital or skilled nursing facility.
Supervised by: Deputy Director and Executive Director, ILCNSCA
Works closely with: Options staff of GNSLink partners
Supervision exercised: None.
General Statement of Duties and Responsibilities as assigned by Supervisor:
• Follow all standards for Commonwealth Options Program as defined by GNSLink and ILCNSCA
• Develop relationships with all of the GNSLink, Inc. leadership agencies for achieving seamless Options and ILCNSCA referrals
• Develop with GNSLink, Inc. leadership agencies materials for cross-training, resource development, and community education for success of the Options Program by ILCNSCA staff
• Provide ILCNSCA cross training as assigned to meet deliverables
• Provide Options Program counseling using a peer model on the different options available for long term care, which will vary depending on each consumer's situation. Options counseling includes meeting with the consumer to discuss and provide guidance about:
o the consumer's medical, physical, emotional, and financial resources,
o public, private and informal supports available to meet long term care needs,
o factors for the consumer to consider in making long term care decisions, including capacity and personal preferences.
• Assist the consumer in choosing options to meet their needs for long term care services and supports that is consumer controlled and includes services, programs, financial resources, and other supports selected by the consumer.
• Provide timely and accurate assistance with referrals to support the consumer in accessing the agreed upon options for services and supports.
• Follow-up by communicating and consulting with the consumer as needed, to determine the outcomes of previous contacts and to offer additional assistance in locating, obtaining or using services as necessary.
• Create and maintain confidential data comprised of contacts, progress notes, and correspondence.
• Complete all documentation required for measuring quality and achievement of outcomes.
• Participate in activities to assist the GNSLink in gaining visibility and trust with community agencies, providers and the public.
• Develop relationships with GNSLink, Inc leadership agencies, partners, medical facilities and clinics, rehabilitation facilities and nursing homes, and community at large to insure that Options Program is available for their consumers, especially those who are in nursing facilities and want to return to the community
• Provide Community Education and Outreach for the GNSLink, Inc. Options Program
• Provide ILCNSCA independent living program services including Information and Referral services, as well as comprehensive services to assigned consumers, especially for those transitioning from institutions back to the community, as well as community services for outreach and community education along with any other assigned tasks by supervisor or Executive Director.
• Perform other related duties as required.
• Bachelor's Degree in Social Work, Psychology, Counseling or Related Field or Life Experience
• Three to five years experience in peer counseling, information and referral, social work, psychology, counseling or related field and experience in coordinating services for one or more of the target populations.
• Driver's license and reliable transportation required.
• Excellent computer skills.
• Strategic thinking skills.
• Excellent customer relations skills.
• Good knowledge of procedures and practices relating to the benefits and services available to older adults and persons with disabilities.
• Active listening, interviewing, and advocacy skills.
• Knowledge of the long term care and social service delivery systems, community resources and the local service system.
• Knowledge of human behavior, family dynamics, interpersonal relations, social interaction and social problems.
• Ability to organize and plan work effectively.
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, orally and in writing.
• Ability to handle difficult inter-personal dynamics and situations and take appropriate action.
• Ability to network and maintain positive, effective relationships with the community agencies, providers, families, consumers and the general public.
• Ability to be flexible and work in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to work constructively as a team member.
• Personal experience with successfully living independently with disabilities a plus.
• Advocacy and self-advocacy skills required.
Salary: $15.50 per hour to start.
Hours: 35 hours per week.
Benefits: As stated in agency Employee Manual.
Review Policy: Supervisor will complete performance appraisal with employee at the completion of a three-month introductory period. Job duties and assignments will be reviewed at this time. Thereafter, performance appraisals will be completed and reviewed annually. ILCNSCA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages persons with disabilities, women, and persons of color to apply for this position.
Physical Demands: (The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
• May requires someone to sit for long periods of time, talk on the phone and enter information into the computer for at least 70% of their day.
• Reading and math skills, above average writing and reasoning skills, excellent priority management and compassion for people.
Work Environment: (The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
• Work performed in an office environment.
• Work performed in office which is scent free, and in community which is not scent free.
Independent Living Center of the North Shore and Cape Ann, Inc. (ILCNSCA) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, ILCNSCA complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
ILCNSCA expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of ILCNSCA's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to Shawn McDuff, Deputy Director email@example.com and Mary Margaret Moore, Executive Director or apply on line at www.ilcnsca.org/careers
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers
OK to highlight this job opening for persons with disabilities