Do you love history? Do you love to tell others about history? If so, The Bostonian Society is looking for you! We need enthusiastic people to join our team of Education Associates (EAs) and work directly with visitors at the Old State House, a Freedom Trail museum.
Love to talk! EAs will give up to five 20-minute tours during an 8-hour shift.
Be a story teller! EAs give tours on the history of our building and the Boston Massacre. (We will teach you the content.) We make complex 18th-century history come alive for 21st-century visitors from all over the world, and go beyond the simple storylines common in public dialogue.
Be customer service oriented! EAs should be friendly, motivated, and committed to providing outstanding customer service and education to all Old State House visitors.
Other duties include:
- Orienting visitors to the museum
- Answering all kinds of questions about history and Boston
- Providing informal interpretation on related 18th-century topics in the galleries (We will teach you about them)
- Assisting the education department with scheduled school groups and adult groups
- Occasional support during evening events
- Assisting with public programs at the Old State House, such as the annual Boston Massacre Commemoration in March
- Other duties as assigned by the Gallery Supervisor
- An interest in history, education, or museums.
- Excellent public speaking skills. EAs must be comfortable speaking in front of large audiences (40+ persons).
- Previous tour-giving experience preferred.
- Experience in informal education preferred
- Ability to be on your feet. When not providing tours, EAs walk the galleries, answer questions, assist visitors, and help with projects.
- Comfortable walking up and down stairs. The Old State House is a multi-story historic building with no elevator.
Flexible availability. Candidates must be able to commit to working one weekend day per week.
- Some holiday availability.
We are currently offering two shifts, approximately 15 hours per week.
EA candidates must be able to commit to a weekly schedule of ONE WEEKEND DAY (either Saturday or Sunday) and one regular week day.
The average EA shift is 8 hours:
From September to April: 8:30am-4pm, 9am-5pm, or 10am-5pm
From June to August: 8:30am-4pm, 10am-6pm, or 11am-6pm
How to apply:
Application deadline Thursday, May 3.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter that includes:
- The days of the week you are available to work (one day MUST be a weekend day).
- The date you are available to start.
Please e-mail resume and cover letter to:
Katie Drescher, Gallery Manager and Senior Educator
Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
No phone calls, please.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers