RESPONSIBLE TO: Animal Care Manager and Animal Care Assistant Manager
This position is vital to the Animal Care and Adoption Center operations because it involves every aspect of the site. A high level of professionalism and strong customer service skills are mandatory. Working in a small busy environment make strong interpersonal skills and a willingness to be a team player absolute requirements. This position has to be flexible in the duties and responsibilities to best fit the changing needs of the Animal Care and Adoption Center and the mission of the Animal Rescue League of Boston (ARL).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. *The regular work week is 40 hours, but, must be required to work a reasonable amount of overtime or when other duties require it at night, weekends, and holidays. Must be willing and able to work a weekend day and holidays. Must be willing to stay overnight in the event of severe weather in order to be available for animal care.
2. *Clean and disinfect cages, kennel areas, exercise runs, and other shelter-related areas, including the garage, animal ambulance, paddock-areas and barn, as applicable and needed.
3. *Inoculate, medicate, bath, groom, exercise and train animals as needed or as directed by the Animal Care Management team, veterinary or behavior team.
4. *Evaluate and monitor on an ongoing basis, the health and behavior of all animals in the Animal Care and Adoption Center, including conducting behavior evaluations.
5. *Assist with daily enrichment efforts for animals in the Animal Care and Adoption Center, including but not limited to, dog play groups.
6. *Must know or be able to learn and perform ARL approved techniques for the euthanasia of animals and other duties associated with it.
7. *Drive an animal ambulance to transport animals, do emergency calls, or pick up supplies and mail, if needed. Keep the vehicle clean, well-stocked and ready for use at all times. Report any accidents, vehicle damage or need for vehicle or equipment repairs to the Animal Care Manager immediately.
8. *Must assume responsibility for opening and closing the Animal Care and Adoption Center. This includes making sure the animals have been properly taken care of and securing the premises.
1. Must have a current and valid Massachusetts Driver's License and be insurable with the ARL Insurance policy for driving a League vehicle.
2. Must have and maintain a good driving record. Should be familiar with the local community streets and areas and must be capable of reading a map.
3. Must be a High School graduate or equivalent.
4. Must be of good moral character and must have an even disposition and be able to deal effectively and politely with people from all types of backgrounds and experience and in all types of difficult situations. This person must have definite abilities to evaluate problems accurately and display good, sound judgment when working without supervision and under emotional stress. These are extremely important and critical qualifications
5. Must be physically capable of performing all the duties of Animal Care and Adoption Center agent including moderately heavy work. Required to lift at least 50 pounds
6. Prior experience with animals, preferably working in a Humane Organization or Veterinary Clinic .
7. A high level of professionalism and strong interpersonal skills are required.