Are you passionate about creating spaces that inspire creativity and innovative thinking, and infuse people with energy and the spirit of collaboration? Do you want to create the workplace of the future? CIC's in-house Design Team creates a variety of engaging and creative spaces for the communities we grow and support.
CIC is looking for an individual with expertise in design of commercial interior spaces and design management to join our Design team as Design Lead based in CIC's Boston office. If you are invigorated by an environment in which you are encouraged to explore innovative approaches to design and project delivery, this is the position for you. We seek to create spaces with elements that are multi-purpose, interactive, and aesthetically pleasing - places you would want to take a picture of and that are a pleasure to work in. This is an excellent opportunity for an Designer with at least four to five years of relevant work experience.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
CIC seeks highly capable, self-directed individuals who employ a high level of autonomy in their work. If you are the kind of person who not only thinks critically about problems, but also likes to take the initiative to pursue new ideas, you would enjoy working here.
The ideal candidate will:
• Be organized, detail oriented, and have excellent time management skills
• Thrive in a project and team-oriented environment while also being able to work independently
• Be flexible, understanding of change, and willing to share information and decisions outside of the CIC Design Team
• Be a true team player with the capacity to foster and maintain positive working relationships with clients, colleagues, building management, and vendors, while treating everyone as your equal
• Have experience working on commercial building projects and knowledge of related codes
• Be imaginative and willing to develop innovative solutions to challenges
• Be confident in delivering well-organized and clear presentations
• Have experience working on projects with short timelines and/or budget constraints, and be able to offer unique and creative ways to address both
GENERAL OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
CIC's Design Lead will be able to take a project from a strong architectural base to a space with overall style and finesse - to find the tiny touches/elements that holistically and strategically create a memorable space and experience. This person will assist with multi-floor interior improvement projects, capital improvement projects, client space modifications, and major renovation projects in existing CIC buildings. The individual in this position, often in concert with other members of the team, will:
• Absorb and contribute to CIC's culture and execute designs that demonstrate a sophisticated understanding of the larger design aesthetics across expansion sites •Simultaneously lead multiple projects of varying levels with different timelines, and offer support and consultation for other design team members' projects
• Perform site analysis, including surveying existing conditions and obtaining field measurements
• Produce plans, elevations, details, reflected ceiling plans, millwork design, furniture layouts, finish plans, color plans, and schedules (Architect of record documents and details will be by outside firms)
• Provide color/finish/material research and use selection boards and other presentation materials to sell design vision to multiple stakeholders
• Manipulate advanced design elements such as proportion, color, light, texture, and scale
• Coordinate with consultants to ensure material and furniture selections comply with local code requirements
• Provide project coordination for the finished plans, specifications, and material selections required for construction
• Provide construction administration services for projects, including answering and reviewing RFIs, review of submittals, finish samples, and shop drawings
• Research and participate in FF+E selection, creation of specifications, and procurement while being sensitive to the confines of project budget
• Act as design liaison between internal teams such as construction, operations, and sales, as well as external teams such as local architects, engineers, and partner companies for specific projects
• Coordinate with consultants related to HVAC, electrical, plumbing, fire protection and safety
• Minimum 4-5 years experience working (not including internships) in the field of design or architecture, preferably with a focus on commercial projects
• Fluency in AutoCad, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign, Sketchup, and rendering software (proficiency in Revit a big plus)
• Degree in interior design or architecture or equivalent experience
• Ability to effectively produce layouts and space plans
• Advanced knowledge of furnishings, materials, and unique fixtures and features; experience with branding, signage design, and wayfinding is a plus
• Strong 3D modeling, graphic design and presentation skills
• Ability to travel (up to 20% of the time, depending on the specific project) to sites in new and existing locations
Applicants should submit a portfolio in PDF format, showing work samples and personal projects. Samples of work completed from educational and prior work experience strongly preferred.
CIC's mission is to improve the world by helping exceptional entrepreneurs innovate better and faster. We offer carefully curated working environments that combine private, secure offices alongside shared amenities in locations across Boston, Cambridge, Miami, Rotterdam, and St. Louis and are growing into other cities, within the US and abroad. We currently serve 1400+ startups, growth companies, and branches of larger organizations, representing for-profit, mission-driven, and non-profit sectors across a wide array of industries. We pride ourselves on displaying a high degree of care and accuracy in everything that we do, and we work to ensure that our clients thrive every day that they are in our space. We believe that our ability to support world-changing entrepreneurs is only as good as the people who make up our teams, and as such we are looking for people who are interested in contributing to--and improving--the way we work. We invite you to explore all our openings here, and learn more about us here.
MORE ABOUT THE DESIGN TEAM
CIC's Design Team members are closely involved in the entire spectrum of work associated with each construction project, including concept design, design development, construction details, bidding, permitting, construction administration, and the opening of a project. Given how quickly CIC is expanding, both nationally and abroad, Design Team members will be involved in various projects that are actually completed and built in a relatively short time frame. Because of our small team, Design Team members are given a lot of responsibility right away, and after a period learning CIC's design standards and principles, will get a chance to start leading and helping to shape entire projects. You'll definitely be able to leave your mark at CIC, and you'll gain more exposure to different aspects of the process, take on more design responsibility, and receive that responsibility earlier in your career when compared with other opportunities at other firms.
ATTRACTIONS OF THE JOB
In addition to helping our clients achieve great things, we work to ensure that our employees are healthy and supported. Some of the benefits of being here include:
• Fun people in a dynamic space. We pride ourselves on finding driven and bright collaborators who are eager to lend their own unique skills to the team, as well as to our inspiring clientele. The number one reason CICers say they like working here is because of their colleagues!
• Personal growth. This is a great opportunity to learn and develop skills within the epicenter of the innovation community at a growing company
• Great benefits for full-time employees!
• Regular massages, access to a nursing room, secure bicycle parking, a game room, a gym, and shower rooms with towels
Compensation is commensurate with experience (please include salary expectations when you apply). Benefits include 100% of the cost of a premium healthcare and dental package and full payment of expenses covered by your deductible, long and short-term disability, life insurance, 401k matching after the first year of employment (must be 21+) and three weeks of vacation plus holidays from the start (more with seniority). Annual reviews with raises every year for those on track with strong performance.
CIC is committed to building teams that reflect the fabric of the cities we support. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, ancestry, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, Veteran status, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know.
Please apply here with a resume and cover letter in Word or PDF format: