CIC is looking for an individual to lead our in-house design team. If you are invigorated by an environment in which you are encouraged to explore innovative approaches to design and project delivery, this is the position for you! This is an excellent opportunity for a licensed architect with at least six to eight years of relevant experience.
Founded in 1999, CIC's mission is to improve the world by helping exceptional entrepreneurs innovate better and faster. We offer carefully curated working environments that combine private, secure offices alongside shared amenities in locations across Boston, Cambridge, Miami, Philadelphia, Rotterdam, St. Louis, and Warsaw and are growing into other cities, within the US and abroad. We currently serve 1800+ startups, growth companies, and branches of larger organizations, representing for-profit, mission-driven, and non-profit sectors across a wide array of industries. The spaces are purposefully designed and built for innovation, featuring tailored workspaces such as biotech and robotics laboratories, and bring together frequent, large gatherings of the best and brightest innovators and entrepreneurs.
CIC currently has over a million square feet of space under lease and is actively pursuing campuses in five additional cities globally, including Dublin, Tokyo, Bilbao, Providence, and Sydney, with plans to grow to 50 cities over the next 10 years. We pride ourselves on displaying a high degree of care and accuracy in everything that we do, and we work to ensure that our clients thrive every day that they are in our space. We believe that our ability to support world-changing entrepreneurs is only as good as the people who make up our teams, and as such we are looking for people who are interested in contributing to--and improving--the way we work.
We invite you to explore all our openings here and learn more about us here. Some examples of CIC's design work can be viewed here.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
CIC seeks highly capable, self-directed individuals who employ a high level of autonomy in their work. If you are the kind of person who not only thinks critically about problems, but also likes to take the initiative to pursue new ideas, you would enjoy working here.
The ideal candidate will:
• Be organized and detail oriented and have excellent time management skills
• Thrive in a project and team oriented environment while working independently
• Be flexible and understanding of change and be willing to share information and decisions with the CIC team
• Be a true team player with the capacity to foster and maintain positive working relationships with clients, colleagues, building management, and vendors
• Have working knowledge of Commercial Building Systems and codes
• Be able to proactively seek the information needed to make decisions
• Be able to weigh priorities for all member of the team and have the critical mindset to evaluate overall priorities for the organization
• Have the capacity and desire to develop web tools to share knowledge and expertise with the CIC team
• Be able to work comfortably with everyone, from cleaning crews to CEOs, treating everyone as your equal
• Be imaginative and willing to develop innovative solutions to challenges
GENERAL OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The primary responsibility of this position is to manage and build the design staff to handle new, multi-floor interior improvement projects, operate capital improvement projects, manage client space modifications and major renovation projects in existing CIC buildings, and handle the design process requirements in new locations. Our goal is to have an in-house group that will be the Architect of Record on smaller projects and set design guidelines and layouts on larger projects. This position will require periodic travel.
The individual in this position will:
• Direct and manage the CIC Design Team and build our internal capabilities
• Coordinate design process with external architectural firm partners, an in-house project management team, and operations teams
• Assist in new site evaluations and lease negotiations
• Review design documents for compliance with design intent
• Find new and innovative products and systems to be utilized in designs
• Conduct site reviews and document observations
• Maintain a CIC design standards manual
• Interface with clients, building owners and staff to define project requirements
• Establish project work plans and deadlines
• Create persuasive presentations
• Assist sales team with basic space planning and fit plans
• Negotiate and administer third party design contracts
• Assist senior management on a wide range of facilities issues including building systems
• Coordinate in-house resources for building technology systems and furniture purchases and installation
• Other duties as needed
• Bachelor of Architecture degree from an NCARB program
• Architectural license in Massachusetts
• AIA Certification
• LEED accreditation a plus
• Proficient in AutoCAD and Revit with a working knowledge of SketchUp and Adobe Creative Suite
ATTRACTIONS OF THE JOB
• Highly varied work: Each day brings opportunities to come up with creative solutions for clients' needs.
• Energetic community: Our clients are some of the smartest individuals in the country and take part in a wide range of industries, including bio-tech, venture capital, law, and philanthropy.
• Great team: Engaged and exciting co-workers in a staff-friendly environment.
• High visibility: Your work will be seen and noticed by the entire CIC team, as well as by hundreds of our clients.
• Personal growth: CIC provides a career path with opportunities for salary and professional growth within a growing company that has planned expansions locally, nationally and internationally.
Compensation is commensurate with experience, plus 100% the cost of a premium healthcare and dental package, long and short-term disability, life insurance, and three weeks vacation from the start (more with seniority), and a 401(k) retirement savings plan. Annual reviews with raises for strong performance are provided every year.
CIC is committed to building teams that reflect the fabric of the cities we support. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, ancestry, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, Veteran status, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know.
Please apply here with a resume and cover letter in Word or PDF format: