compensation: Salary range $50k - $70k depending on experience employment type: employee's choice telecommuting okay
QR Code Link to This Post
How often do you get to improve the education system of a whole country? STEMDevelopment.org is an experienced science curriculum developer. We are looking for an experienced graphic artist and technical illustrator in the Boston / Cambridge area. Our three-year project is a unique series of interactive science textbooks for grades 10 - 12 in biology, chemistry, physics, general science, and earth science. These will be the foundation of science education in a small foreign country. This exciting, project will involve up to a dozen writers, graphic artists, and teachers on three continents. Dr. Tom Hsu, the project leader has written eight successful middle and high school textbooks over the past 17 years in physics, chemistry, physical science, and mathematics. He was the founder of CPO science and Ergopedia and most recently the Chief Product Officer at PASCO Scientific.
This position involves the following activities.
1. Create technical illustrations for science textbooks in physics, chemistry, biology, and general science. There is a content base of about 70% of the final number of required illustrations so there is material to work from. All illustrations are in Adobe Illustrator and/or Photoshop. Illustrator is the primary tool and Photoshop is used as needed to create better looking art that is then placed into Illustrator.
2. Research the culture and interests of the client country to develop a culturally sensitive graphic style.
3. Design the covers for 13 books and 75 illustrations for the first page of each chapter.
4. Manage the book templates in Adobe InDesign in cooperation with our partner in London who is responsible for grades 1-9.
5. Help resolve issues between our graphics and the translation into the language of the client country.
6. Generally help fend off scope-creep, miscommunication, and other plagues common to this kind of project.
This is a work-from-home position with flexible hours. There will likely be daily contact through virtual meeting with Tom and others on the team. There will be bi-monthly meetings with the entire team which will be about two hours each month.
Regular travel is not required but there may be an occasional trip to the client country do develop photographic or video assets.
1. Extensive experience in Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Indesign, and Adobe Photoshop.
2. Experience in doing technical illustrations.
3. A compatible sense of design with the goals of the project and the culture of the client country.
4. Excellent organizational, verbal communication, and writing skills.
5. Sense of humor a must.
6. All development will be in English however, fluency in Arabic would be an asset in this position.
The compensation will be commensurate with skills and time commitment.
An allowance for individually purchased health insurance will be provided that is equivalent to 50% of the cost of individual PPO or HMO plans offered through the Massachusetts Business Association (MBA), and we can assist in finding such coverage. The company does not otherwise offer benefits.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers