compensation: Commensurate with experience. employment type: full-time
QR Code Link to This Post
Position Overview: This multi-functional creative role involves aspects of game design, graphic design, exhibit design, and set design - all rolled into one. (Norwood, MA)
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
About Us: 5 Wits Productions is a rapidly growing design/build company specializing in museum exhibits, special effects, theme park attractions, and interactive walk-through adventures and games. For more on our attractions, visit http://www.5-wits.com.
5 Wits Productions' 9,000 square foot design/build facility is located in Norwood, MA, 30-minutes south of Boston. More information is available on our website, http://www.5witsProductions.com.
We are seeking a hands-on Creative Designer with a broad range of skills, capable of being the design lead on new themed entertainment and exhibit projects. Strong graphic and spatial design skills are a must.
The work is highly creative and requires an independent thinker who will self-start and work largely unsupervised with excellent collaboration skills. There's no room for ego here, as we all do "whatever needs to be done" to produce a winning guest experience. The elements we build are highly interactive, with mechanical and electrical components integrated within.
Responsibilities will include brainstorming, researching, sketching/rendering, and concept development - a wide variety of early stage project creative work. Producing drawings, specifications, and documentation for all project stages. Game design, graphic design (Adobe Creative Suite), and set design (CAD and Sketch-Up experience helpful) may play a role, depending on the project needs. While a specific college degree is not required, relevant education is valued.
An individual who is able to take an active role in the "design" as well as the "build" phases is a good fit for our multi-disciplinary team. Our work is highly varied from project to project, with the opportunity for the right individual to define their niche here in this rapidly growing company.
YOU MIGHT BE A FIT ON THE 5 WITS PRODUCTIONS TEAM IF YOU...
▪ Are just a little bit obsessive about getting the details right the first time
▪ Like to laugh, would be described as a "low maintenance, low drama" person, have a tendency to have a bit of fun while you work
▪ Have a high tolerance for ambiguity and are willing to learn on the job, since we never seem to do the same thing twice
▪ Have a high energy personality, the kind of person who likes to "get it done NOW"
▪ An artistic eye in your work - everything is custom and much of our work is theatrical in nature.
▪ 5+ Years experience with museum exhibit, theatrical stage set, themed attraction and/or game design.
▪ Very strong attention to detail - a focus on accuracy and thoroughness. Very organized.
▪ Excellent written and verbal communication skills
▪ Strong computer skills with expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and/or 3D Modeling
OTHER DESIRABLE (BUT NOT NECESSARY) SKILLS & EXPERIENCE INCLUDE
▪ Hands-on fabrication skills - knowing how things are actually made - is helpful background... Carpentry, metal work, etc.
▪ Mechanical knowledge and experience building things that move
▪ Experience with motors, actuators, pneumatics, gears, moving parts
▪ Painting, including knowledge of scenic painting materials and methods
▪ Knowledge of relevant codes and design principles in the areas of plumbing, fire protection, HVAC/mechanical, electrical, and lighting
▪ Estimating experience for predicting the build cost of various design alternatives
▪ Exposure to digital game design, UI/UX best practices, interface design
▪ Project management experience
▪ Our business is in a very fun industry - family entertainment and the design/engineering of attractions and exhibits. The people here are great and we literally make others smile for a living. We are looking for a long term addition to our wonderful team.
Yes, this is a very wide range of skills to find in one person... and that's what we are looking for.